Friday 6 June 2014

13. A Tweak Here and A Tweak There ~ 21st May

The moral support came from Dad today, who took me back to the audiologist, to try and improve things with the hearing aids. However what's the point? It's never going to work, I can hear more without them. I had lost all hope that hearing aids would improve life for me and I was ready to take my frustration out on them with the help of a sledgehammer (seeing as I don't own a sledge hammer, driving my car over them would have to do)! Luckily a moment of sanity kicked in as I remembered the cost. Did you know that hearing aids can cost a few thousand pounds?...nor did I, but I do now!

The audiologist sat down at his computer and patiently started tweaking away at my hearing aids. There were a few times when he had to listen to them through a stethoscope (well, it looked like one!) but he couldn't put the ear bits of the stethoscope in his ears as the volume of my hearing aids would damage his ears. It was certainly a 'different' look having the stethoscope ear bits hanging from his cheeks (please don't get a complex Mr Audiologist!).

Everything, and I mean everything sounded so different. The sounds which I wanted to have amplified (such as voices) had either been made worse or had remained the same whilst the strangest of noises became unpleasant with some verging on unbearable. The best noise I can now hear are the birds singing again (I'm grinning from ear to ear!). The worst noise? - Toilet paper being pulled off the roll!!

No comments:

Post a Comment