Wednesday 16 July 2014

25. Day 4: Thinking ahead ~ 20th June

This morning we were given an interesting talk about cochlear implants. 'Surgery Encyclopedia' says "A cochlear implant is a small, complex electronic device used to treat severe to profound hearing loss. It is surgically implanted underneath the skin behind the patient's ear" (quoted from 'encyclopedia of surgery'). I am not going into any detail about cochlear implants because they are such an incredible and complex invention that they warrant their own entry on my blog.

It was then time to say goodbye. It was really difficult to leave the course. Whilst saying goodbye to my fellow students was sad, leaving the actual course was the worst. Leaving the things which I had never imagined I would experience. I went on the course for four reasons: 

  1. learn more about being deaf, 
  2. meet other deaf people, 
  3. get some support for my family, 
  4. use the hotels swimming pool. 

Other than that, I wasn't expecting a thing.

What did I gain from the course? Not only was the course content educational, it was supportive for my family, it provided me with a wealth of information, I received support from experienced staff, I gained courage, strength and I'm emotionally stronger than I was before. I am grateful for what I've got compared to those less able to use technology for example the much older students on the course. I was made to feel normal, spending time away to reflect, knowing that there are things available to help me lead the best quality of life I'm able to. I was given hope, allowed to talk openly, we shared experiences, gained tips from each other and I never felt alone. I have been given so many suggestions of things to look up when I'm home. I have learnt things in preparation for my future but being realistic at the same time, knowing that there are challenges ahead but also knowing that I'm normal and that I'm still the same person I was before going deaf.

Thank you NHS for funding the course and thank you Hearing Link for an amazing few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment