Sunday 18 May 2014

1. Are you a three chance person? - 10th April 2014

The first time I usually say "pardon?" Then I say "sorry, I missed that" and then I tend to make some excuse for example "I'm really sorry, but it is so noisy in here that I can barely hear you, do you mind repeating that"? That's it. Three chances and I give up. Asking them to repeat what they were saying for a third time is awkward but anything more is both embarrassing and humiliating I find.

I saw an audiologist for the first time on 3rd March this year. The hearing loss scale ranges from normal to mild to moderate to severe to profound. I had all sorts of tests done and at the end of the appointment I was told that I had mild to moderate hearing loss in both ears, I will need hearing aids by the end of the year and I have a degenerative disorder so I will go completely deaf at some point.

*****************

It is almost five weeks since I went to my appointment. Today I have been back to the audiology department for appointment number two. I knew that my hearing had deteriorated a lot in that short space of time but....... From mild to moderate hearing loss five weeks ago, the consultant told me that it is now in between severe and profound in both ears and I will lose all my hearing from anytime now to the next two or three years. He said that I will need hearing aids now and there is some equipment available which allow me to have a better quality of life. I switched off as that was enough information for one day.

On the way home, positivity immediately kicked in. I'm so thankful it is my hearing as the thought of losing my sight is far worse, I've got all four limbs, a very loving and supportive family, some special friends and most of all I have had twenty nine years of being able to hear. What else can I ask for?

1 comment:

  1. You are unbelievably amazing. I am right behind you every step of the way xxx

    ReplyDelete