Saturday 30 August 2014

31. Dialling 999 when you're deaf ~ 30th June

You're with a relative and they suddenly collapse, so you dial 999. You witness a traffic accident, so you dial 999. You see someone's house in flames, so you dial 999. What do you do when you are deaf as you won't be able to hear the emergency services operator?

I picked up a leaflet whilst on my course but I have only just looked at it properly. The leaflet talks about how to register with a text message service run by the emergency services. I am now registered to text 999 in an emergency and provide specific information ie location etc. It took very little time to register and could save not only someone else's life but yours too. If you too are deaf, I urge you to register.

For more information, please click on this link: www.emergencysms.org.uk   

I'm afraid that I don't know whether this service is available in other countries. If any of you know, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment