Friday 23 May 2014

8. Beige Hearing Aids? No Way! - 8th May 2014

I've seen two audiologists today which means I've had two lots of hearing tests (they leave me exhausted). Both audiologists confirmed that I am now completely deaf in one ear (with one of them referring to it as being dead!) whilst I am profoundly deaf in the other. Will it get better? Unfortunately not they confirmed. It's obvious that I'll be 100% deaf sometime soon. It's not just down to the inherited condition they think I have, but the antibiotics I've been taking for the last four months which have had an ortotoxic effect, in other words even coming off the antibiotics won't make it reversible now as the damage has been done. I don't know what my doctor would think about me stopping the antibiotics immediately, but I'm afraid I don't care one iota if it means I could keep my little hearing a bit longer. No tablet tonight!

Now then girls, why do so many of us wear pretty or fun or colourful underwear? Does it make us feel better, more confident or more feminine in comparison to wearing Bridget Jones knickers, even when they are hidden away under clothing? It's taken me a while to get used to the idea of me wearing hearing aids. This is when my knicker idea came into action! Why should I hide my hearing aids due to embarrassment when I could be confident and wear them with pride? I was immediately shown a pair of beige hearing aids....absolutely not! I wanted more colour to show my personality. Purple it is (unfortunately they don't come in my favourite colour pink!)! It is highly unlikely they will be visible under my hair, but why should I wear Bridget Jones knickers? So my new hearing aids have been ordered and I should have them within ten working days! I never thought I'd hear myself say that I can't wait for a pair of hearing aids.   :)

So the cosmetics of the hearing aids is obviously of paramount importance to me, but I guess the insides are important too! Mine are like mini computers due to what they do. They have a feature where both hearing aids communicate with each other! It is so technical that I cannot begin to explain it to you (in other words I don't fully understand!). I have just sent a message to the company asking them to explain it in child language so I can understand! Unfortunately they are very big, but it's evidently because my hearing is so bad. The audiologist said they would significantly improve my quality of life for a while. They do so many things that I'll have to explain these new super powers I have, but that's for another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment